You can filter up to 264 gallons of water per straw before replacing!
The easier way is to consider consumption rates. This is the equivalent of 10 months for a male (3.7 liters per day) and 12 months for a female (2.7 liters per day) on average.
The straw has a .2 micron microfilter which filters 99.9999% of bacteria and 99.99% of parasitic protozoa. It does not filter chemical toxins such as acid rain.
- A microfiltration filter has a pore size of approximately 0.1 micron (pore size ranges vary by filter from 0.05 micron to 5 micron);
- Microfiltration has a very high effectiveness in removing protozoa (for example, Cryptosporidium, Giardia);
- Microfiltration has a moderate effectiveness in removing bacteria (for example, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli);
- Microfiltration is not effective in removing viruses (for example, Enteric, Hepatitis A, Norovirus, Rotavirus);
- Microfiltration is not effective in removing chemicals.
There is no shelf life on the straw. As long as it remains unused and in good condition, you can store it for later use.
You can use the Water Filter Straw on many forms of water including ponds, streams, lakes, rivers, natural puddles and more.
The Water Filter Straw can NOT filter ocean / salt water, acid rain or other harsh chemicals.